Monday, December 14, 2009

Twas the Night Before Christmas--Peak Version

Adapted by C. Sherman Henes and Cassi Henes




Twas the Night Before Christmas
Adapted for Foundation Repair by Cassi Sherman Henes


Twas the day before Christmas and all through the house
There was a great creaking that frightened the mouse
The stockings that hung on the chimney were leaning
Off plum ‘bout four inches, if you take my meaning.
The children were nestled all snug in their beds
But the blood was rushing from their toes to their heads
And Mom in her bathrobe and I in my flannels
Had just settled down to surf through the channels

When up in the kitchen there arose such a clatter
I sprang from my chair to see what was the matter
Upstairs, down the hallway, I flew like a flash
To assess the damage from such a big crash!

The pile of fragments from now fallen plates
Had me shaking and sputtering and cursing the fates
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear
But a white van marked Peak, a crew, and their gear!

With a uniformed foreman, so lively and quick,
I thought for a moment he must be St. Nick.
The foreman was thorough, and at his goading
More rapid than eagles, the crew starting unloading!

Now jackhammer, now shovels, now pier caps, and piers!
The foreman, he set about calming my fears.
“We’ll work from the inside by cutting the slab,
But just in some sections, it shouldn’t be bad.”

They taped up plastic and started their digging
Within just a moment, they exposed the footing.
Then notching away the concrete, they flew,
Soon five brackets, then six so shiny and new

And then in a twinkling, I heard one of them say,
“We’re ready to push steel, we’ll be done today!”
So foot after foot, the pier sections pushed down
Until pressure readings said bedrock’d been found.

The foreman walked upstairs and surveyed the room,
Saying, “We’ve pushed to depth and are lifting soon”.
Lift cylinders were secured to each bracket
They lifted the house, there was such a racket!

Slamming doors, closing cabinets that I’d never
Seen work without help from duct tape, or lever
The floor, it was even! The stockings were straight!
The Christmas tree level! The house, it looked great!

The drywall cracks that I’d seen in the ceiling
Were closing up tight just like they were healing!
The gap near the chimney was sealed up tight
At that moment, I knew that Peak had it right!

The push piers had solved all my foundation woes
“O, our house is stable, it’s safe again, Rose,”
I cried to my wife as I hugged her quite tight
“No more losing sleep from worrying all night!”

They spoke not a word as they finished their work
Refilled the van, and closed the doors with a jerk.
The foreman came over to wrap up the job
By signing the paperwork and said, “Thanks, Bob”.

He sprang into the truck and gave his team a whistle
And away they flew like the down from a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim as they drove out of sight,
“Firm foundations to all, and to all a good-night!”

No comments:

Post a Comment